As we age, we often encounter a variety of health issues or ailments that can slow us down. And, while some of these ailments may be minor, inevitably they cause us to make adjustments to our standard of living. For some of us, it may be no more than a change in lifestyle or habits. However, for many people it means learning how to use an assortment of aids for daily living.
These aids for daily living can take many different forms. For some it can be as simple as re-arranging furniture so limbs are not bruised or perhaps changing ones diet and exercise routine to help improve bone and muscles strength, while for others it may involve adding safety features such as support bars or benches for the tub. In more extreme cases, it may mean moving to a new residence or either bringing outside help, but regardless of the actions, these ease of living actions typically mean a richer life than expected.
However, the aids for living life to its fullest are not always about new residences, or adding numerous safety features to the home (though these are great recourses to take!) but they may also be accomplished in the way things are communicated. Here are some important factors when thinking about ways that independent living can be more easily achieved.
· If at any time your treatment doesn’t seem to be working, let your healthcare professional know, so they can reassess things. For instance, if the new diet is making you feel worse, or the medicine schedule is too complicated or having adverse effects, don’t suffer in silence – speak up.
· Before embarking on a new exercise or diet plan, talk to your healthcare provider.
· Look for items that make life a bit easier. There is no shame in using a tool designed to keep you from injuring yourself.
· Do you need to lose a few pounds? Then endeavor to do so. Your doctor will be thrilled, and you will feel so much better. And who knows, you might even discover a new activity that makes you smile!
· Do you smoke? Then ask for help to quit. There are so many great products out there to make this easier than before.